Practical key features based on research.
We reviewed the scholarly literature for you. And furthermore, based on that and also from our teaching and consulting experiences, we developed this leaders‘ checklist for you.
Regardless of industry, staff size, revenue or current leadership trends, these 10 leadership feastures are the key features that have proven to be essential in order to navigate through virtually any leadership moment.
Effective leadership can be mastered.
We hope that we provided a useful checklist for you. A checklist that you might refer to over time, as you go about your personal leadership development.
We are convinced that it can serve to ensure you that you’re doing all that you can to be the kind of leader that inspires the best effort in your people, while driving the desired results.
If you would like to learn more about how we can help you in developing your personal leadership skills – or if you and your company would like to know how to assess leadership and predict organizational success: please contact us. We will be happy to assist, to coach and to consult.
Dr. Tobias Heilmann
+41 43 536 57 20
- Barling, J., Weber, T., & Kelloway, E. K. (1996). Effects of transformational leadership training on attitudinal and financial outcomes: A field experiment. Journal of applied psychology, 81(6), 827.
- Bass, B. M. (1999). Two decades of research and development in transformational leadership. European journal of work and organizational psychology, 8(1), 9-32.
- Eva, N., Robin, M., Sendjaya, S., van Dierendonck, D., & Liden, R. C. (2018). Servant leadership: A systematic review and call for future research: The leadership quarterly yearly review for 2019. The Leadership Quarterly.
- Ilies, R., Judge, T., & Wagner, D. (2006). Making sense of motivational leadership: The trail from transformational leaders to motivated followers. Journal of leadership & organizational studies, 13(1), 1-22.
- Grant, A. M. (2012). Leading with meaning: Beneficiary contact, prosocial impact, and the performance effects of transformational leadership. Academy of Management Journal, 55(2), 458-476.
- Herold, D. M., Fedor, D. B., Caldwell, S., & Liu, Y. (2008). The effects of transformational and change leadership on employees‘ commitment to a change: A multilevel study. Journal of applied psychology, 93(2), 346.
- Humphrey, R. H. (2002). The many faces of emotional leadership. The leadership quarterly, 13(5), 493-504.
- Jung, D. D., Wu, A., & Chow, C. W. (2008). Towards understanding the direct and indirect effects of CEOs‘ transformational leadership on firm innovation. The leadership quarterly, 19(5), 582-594.
- Judge, T. A., & Piccolo, R. F. (2004). Transformational and transactional leadership: a meta-analytic test of their relative validity. Journal of applied psychology, 89(5), 755.
- Tepper, B. J., Dimotakis, N., Lambert, L. S., Koopman, J., Matta, F. K., Man Park, H., & Goo, W. (2018). Examining Follower Responses to Transformational Leadership from a Dynamic, Person–Environment Fit Perspective. Academy of Management Journal, 61(4), 1343-1368.
- Uhl-Bien, M., & Arena, M. (2018). Leadership for organizational adaptability: A theoretical synthesis and integrative framework. The Leadership Quarterly, 29(1), 89-104.
- Zhu, W., Chew, I. K., & Spangler, W. D. (2005). CEO transformational leadership and organizational outcomes: The mediating role of human–capital-enhancing human resource management. The leadership quarterly, 16(1), 39-52.